Rangeways Road Surgery is the first GP practice in Dudley and the West Midlands to be associated with parkrun via the Royal College of General Practitioners.
In an exciting and innovative initiative, the RCGP is partnering with parkrun UK to promote the health and wellbeing of staff and patients. Under this initiative, GP practices across the UK are encouraged to develop close links with their local parkrun to become parkrun practices
Now a certified parkrun practice, staff at Rangeways have already dusted off their running shoes and completed their first parkrun on the 14th July. Members of the team included Claire (Receptionist), Sandra (Nurse) Dr William Edwards and Clare Wood, Practice Manager, however this was not Clareâ€™s first run, she joined parkrun last year with her family and regularly takes part.
The practice are promoting the benefits to patients they feel may benefit as well as displaying information in their patient waiting areas, digital screens and on their website.
Dr Edwards, GP at Rangeways Surgery said: â€œAs a practice weâ€™re keen to encourage our patients to lead a healthy, active lifestyle. parkrun is a fun, friendly, free activity for all abilities whether a runner or walker. By working in partnership with the parkrun team weâ€™re hoping to inspire people from across Dudley to come along, improve their fitness and maybe make some new friendsâ€™
Inactivity is a leading cause of premature illness and death in the UK. Local GPs and their teams play a key role in encouraging and empowering their patients to get more active in the best interests of their health. parkrun provides an accessible, non-intimidating local opportunity for patients and staff to increase their activity levels, and have fun doing it, all in the great outdoors – and itâ€™s free!
Whether people want to improve their fitness, make new friends, cope with health problems, learn new skills or simply be outside with others, parkrun has a positive impact on health and wellbeing and changes lives.
- Free, weekly 5k events for all ages from 4+, every Saturday morning, in areas of open space
- 2k junior parkruns for 4-14 year olds and their families on Sunday mornings
- Over 750 locations in UK
- Organised by local volunteer teams
- Not races: walk, run, jog, volunteer or spectate
- parkrun is open to all, including those who are inactive or have health conditions or disabilities
- Improve health and wellbeing through physical activity, including volunteering
- Socialise, make friends and be part of a welcoming, supportive community?
Involvement in this initiative will help practices:
- Improve the health and wellbeing of practice staff
- improve the health and wellbeing of patients and carers, reducing the need for lifelong medication
- Raise awareness amongst the parkrun community of services that practices provide
- Contribute to the development of a local community and environment that is centred around wellness generation
- Support the UK-wide movement to scale up social prescribing activities
If you are a patient at Rangeways Road Surgery and would like to get involved, contact Clare Wood, Practice Manager for more information.
If you would like to become a parkrun practice you can register using the parkrun practice form.